Ballroom Dance for Senior Fitness is unique in that it unites a network of existing stakeholders under a common goal: dementia prevention through ballroom dance. We work in communities to address three critical barriers:
- Lack of public awareness of the cognitive health benefits of ballroom dance
- We produce a televised PSA series and content that re-frames dance as a public health intervention for seniors. We aim to transform the perception of ballroom dance as a luxury to a necessity for health.
- Declining membership at many dance groups
- We promote classes and events held by partner dance groups and provide access to a wider audience of potential dancers and growth opportunities.
- Lack of government support for inclusive, community dance programs
- We work with with municipal governments to facilitate the declaration of Ballroom Dance Awareness month and support of local dance groups.